Do you have a clearly defined picture of what your future looks like? Odds are not in favor that you do. Most American’s spend more time planning out their next vacation than they do the next thirty years of their lives. That is why we end up driving that mini van with the dual sliding doors rather that the Porsche 911 Turbo we dreamt of as a child. It may have been a multitude of other fine automobiles or maybe not a car at all. The point is that somewhere along the line most of us lost site of our dreams and swallowed a lie. We began to listen to the doubt of our friends, family, and worst of all ourselves. I know I know, right now your thinking not me I am exactly where I want to be. Really? If you are great, this will mean nothing to you. But if you know that there is something you have been missing and have a burning desire to change, grow, and lead yourself to a brighter future, than set a goal for heavens sake.
There is an alleged study that was done by Yale in 1953 on goal stetting. It outlines how important it is to have clearly defined goals written down, planed for and then acted upon. Weather is was actually done or not I could care less, the point is it flat out works baby. Believe, don’t believe that’s for you to decide. One thing I know for sure, is that if you do not set a goal you are sure to hit it! It is all the data you need for the guy or gal that thinks they are doing pretty good (aka, I’m selfishly looking out for myself trying to be mediocre). I got this from Laurence Tabek: The story, as told by consultants, goes like this: In 1953, researchers surveyed Yale’s graduating seniors to determine how many of them had specific, written goals for their future. The answer: 3%. Twenty years later, researchers polled the surviving members of the Class of 1953 — and found that the 3% with goals had accumulated more personal financial wealth than the other 97% of the class combined!
Write it down everywhere! The dash board of your car, the mirror where you shave or paint your face on in the morning, heck write it on the shower wall with crayon. Get your dreams back out in front of you. Stop swallowing the lie you have been feeding your self for however long it has been there. Remember if all you ever talk about is what you used to do or have done, you are a has been! One of my favorite stories on dreaming is about Walt Disney. On Friday October 1st 1971 Disney World opened in Orlando Florida. Walt had passed in 1966 and when a reporter asked Mrs. Disney if Walt would have liked to have seen it, Mrs. Disney had one of the greatest responses I have ever heard. “He already has”. I love it! What a vision that man had cast, what a dreamer he was. He dreamed so much his wife could see it. That’s the power of a dream my friends. So set the goal and run baby! What ever it takes, how ever long it takes, just do it!
I will leave you with a quote from Walt himself from the grand opening of Disney Land on July 18th 1955.
“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past …. and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America … with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” Amen Walt, Amen.
Learn, Love, Lead
Juan M Alcala